Bonding is the cosmetic dental procedure that involves applying a tooth-colored composite resin to repair decayed, chipped, fractured or discolored teeth. Bonding is one of the easiest and least expensive of all cosmetic dental procedures because it can usually be done in one visit. Bonding can also be an alternative to amalgam fillings.
Our dentists, Dr. Mark Jensen, is familiar with the process of bonding and is here to help you repair dental damage so that you can have confidence in your smile again. Furthermore, our capable team at Oak Park Dental Group in Lenexa, Kansas, is committed to providing you with the highest level of service possible.
The composite resin used for bonding can be shaped and polished to match the surrounding teeth and can serve many purposes. Some of the things bonding can be useful for are: closing the spaces between teeth, improving the appearance of discolored or chipped teeth, and even to make teeth appear larger.
The Process Step-by-step
1. The color of resin that best matches the shade of your teeth is chosen.
2. The surface of the tooth is abraded in order to allow the resin to adhere better to the tooth’s surface.
3. The tooth is treated with a conditioning liquid that will further help the resin adhere.
4. The putty-like resin is applied to the tooth and then molded and smoothed until it is the desired shape.
5. The resin is then hardened by using an ultraviolet light or laser.
6. The bonding material will then be further trimmed and shaped if needed, and it will be polished until it matches the sheen of the rest of your teeth.
After the process is complete, it is important to avoid consuming anything that could potentially stain the resin for at least 48 hours. If you have any questions or concerns about the bonding process, please call at 913-492-9660 to schedule an appointment with a member of our friendly team.